Monday, September 07, 2026

Whither Seaweed?

Green seaweed Turimetta south, likely to be Caulerpa filiformis
(imaged by Peter Woodard, found here)

When my friend Mark found out that the theme this week would be seaweed, he said, "Ah! The pride of Tacoma!" But I didn't find a song about or even called "Seaweed" by Seaweed so you probably won't hear a song by Seaweed on a show about seaweed.

You won't even hear the word "seaweed" in the song that inspired the show about seaweed. That's because the song that inspired the show is the song "Les GoƩmons" by Serge Gainsbourg. I first heard the song in translation by Mick Harvey as "Black Seaweed" but the word just means "seaweed." I was in a Gainsbourg mood a while back. Spent some time with him. Wondered if there were enough songs about seaweed to justify it as a theme for Self Help Radio.

Find out how I did tonight. From midnight to 2am. On 90.7 fm here in Portland. kboo dot fm everywhere. Maybe even under the sea.

No comments: