Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Whither Crows?

(I found this image here.)

There are these giant crows that show up from time-to-time in my backyard & bully the other birds around the bird feeder.  The bird feeder isn't big enough to support them - they try anyway, it's a comical sight - but they're able to strut around beneath it, & eat seeds that have dropped onto the ground.  The sparrows, cardinals, pigeons, doves, etc., all generally stay away, although sometimes a large enough group of them will harass the crows.  Usually the status quo is: bigger gets what it wants.

I assume they're crows - I know that "crow" is a genus of birds, not a particular bird.  These are big black motherfuckers.  They run away from me but there's no guarantee they won't dive down to attack me when I'm unaware or make off with my little chihuahua who, at under eight pounds, is probably eminently portable.

So one day this crow says, "I hear you sometimes on the radio waves."  I say, "You can hear radio?  You don't even have ears!"  Ignoring me, the crow says, "Make a radio show about crows."  "What?" I say.  "Make a radio show about crows," he repeats.  "Or else."  "Or else what?" I say, but he flies away menacingly.

Much I marveled that ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly!  (Did you know I have "The Raven" memorized?)  He impressed me enough to make a radio show about crows.  That, & they're always eyeing my little chihuahua hungrily.

The show is on from 4-6pm today on 88.1 fm in Lexington & online at wrfl dot fm.  Please listen!  Or else I may one day find my little dog missing from the backyard!

No comments: