Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cradle To Grave (Episode Nine)


Nine episodes!  I guess I'm lucky I'm at the end of over a century of recorded music - this show includes music from 1901 & music from 2008.  & lots in-between!

It's no secret - I haven't made it a secret - that the show is pre-recorded.  I sit up late at night, usually Thursday night/Friday morning - listening to music, recording an airbreak, listening to more music, rinse, repeat, until it's all done.  This week was weird because Friday morning began the "snowpocalypse," when a large amount of the white stuff fell on Lexington, & I felt like I had to say something about it, even in passing, although it had yet to happen.  So in a sense, I was lying on the air when I talked about snow being everywhere.  I don't think that it really affects the show in any major way - people who were born or died on January 23 would have stayed the same, snow or not - but it is something I noticed when I listened last night.  I felt like a fibber.

In any event, here it is, the ninth episode of Cradle To Grave.  It's over at the Self Help Radio website, where you can find the username & password necessary for the listening.  The songs I played, divided into birthdays (first hour) & days of death (second hour) are below.

The sun is out!  Hooray!

(part one: birthdays)

"Operator" Midnight Star _Planetary Invasion_
"Yes We Can Can" The Pointer Sisters _The Pointer Sisters_
"Whisper Not" Ella Fitzgerald with Marty Paich & His Orchestra _Whisper Not_
"Embrasse-Moi (From Peau De Banane)" Jeanne Moreau _Succés Et Confidences_
"Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive" Four Freshmen _Voices In Fun_

"Mr. Question Man" Ernie Kovacs _The Ernie Kovacs Album_
"Get Thee Behind Me, Satan" The Almanac Singers _Talking Union_
"Indian Love Call" Slim Whitman _Country USA 1952_
"Lonesome Valley" Vince Martin & Fred Neil _Tear Down The Walls_
"I Put A Spell On You" Them _Them Again_
"Swing 39" Django Reinhardt _I Got Rhythm_

"I Want You to Want Me (Early Version)" Cheap Trick _Cheap Trick (Expanded Edition)_
"The Way You Do The Things You Do" UB40 _Labour Of Love II_
"A World With No Mirrors" The Legendary Pink Dots _Plutonium Blonde_
"Nonsequence" Gary Burton _The New Quartet_

(part two: death anniversaries)

"Clinch Mountain Blues" The Stanley Brothers _The Complete Mercury Recordings_
"The Laughing Song" George W. Johnson _The Laughing Song_
"Ol' Man River" Paul Robeson _American Musical Theater: Shows, Songs, & Stars, Vol. I_
"Gabbin' Blues" Big Maybelle _The OKeh Rhythm & Blues Story, 1949-1957_
"Them Jive New Yorkers" Babs Gonzales _Violà!_

"Muskrat Ramble" Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five _Ory's Creole Trombone (Greatest Recordings 1922-1944)_
"Tickled To Death" Richard Zimmerman _The Roots Of Ragtime_
"Made In Sweden" Brother Jack McDuff _Moon Rappin'_
"Fifty Second Street Boogie Down" Catalyst _A Tear & A Smile_

"Louie Louie" Richard Berry & Pharaohs _The Best Of Flip Records, Vol. 3_
"Sh-Boom" The Chords _Don't It Sound Good: The Great Atlantic Vocal Groups_
"Rag Mop" Ames Brothers _The Best Of The Ames Brothers_
"Lost John Boogie" Wayne Raney _Songs Of The Hills_
"Instrumental # 1" James Davis _The George Mitchell Boxset_

"Row Row Row Your Boat" Captain Kangaroo _Captain Kangaroo Sings The Horse In The Striped Pajamas_

No comments: