Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Gary Files # 24: Garry Marshall

(Picture from his Wikipedia page.)

An explanation: Since the name Gary is going extinct, I thought it incumbent upon me to celebrate more notable Garys than myself.  This is the twenty-fourth of a series!

Garry Marshall is, according to the Wikipedia, "an American actor, director, writer, & producer."  His list of credits is impressive.  Check out his Wikipedia page if you don't believe me.

So, another "Gary" that's spelled "Garry."  Is that a problem?

It just seems like, since your name is Gary, you shouldn't be celebrating people whose names are Garry.  They sound exactly the same!  Do you think people named John are different than people named Jon?

Sort of.  That's insane!

All right.  When did you first become aware of him?  Probably reading the credits of shows I watched when I was a kid, like Happy Days.

Were you excited to see his name?  Probably not.  It's not spelled the same as mine.

A-ha!  Look, the Wikipedia page for the name Gary also includes Garry.  There's no difference between the two.

If you say so.  I say so.  Ask me some more questions.

Did you also know he was an actor?  I didn't.  Did he act in things he directed?

Among other things.  Wouldn't you do that?

What?  Put yourself in movies or television shows you were producing.

I never thought about it.  I bet you would.

Maybe.  Was his name really Garry?  Garry Kent Marshall.

Born in 1934.  Not named after Gary Cooper?  Nope!  His parents must've had other reasons to name him Garry!

You wish you were as rich as he is, don't you?  My lord, doesn't everyone?

No comments: