Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Whither The Empty Show?

(Image from this fun article here.)

Oh I know what you're thinking: Here's miserable ol' Gary again, doing another show rife with negativity, the emptiness, the void, angst, suicide, purgatory, Donald Trump presidency.  Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Except, of course, I am mostly miserable, & I'm quite a pessimist, & the glass isn't just half-empty with me, it's half-empty with poison.  & perhaps that is reflected in the subject matter of the shows I do.  But I submit that you are coming at this with your own preconceptions of the word "empty."  What if I told you that some religious traditions value emptiness as a starting place for spiritual growth?  Or that some people use "empty" as a metaphor for openness, curiosity, adventurousness?  What would you say then, smarty-pants?  Hanh?  Hunh?  Hanh?

Man, that was an easy straw man (or should I say straw person?) to knock down!  I'm going to have more arguments with myself!  But wait - if I argue with myself, doesn't half of me lose?  Damn rhetoric!  Damn it all to hell!

Despite my own internal issues, I will still do a show today with the theme "the empty show" from 4-6 pm on 88.1 fm in Lexington, & online at the same time (science!) at wrfl dot fm.  I have lots of guests & lots of music so it will be an empty show full of songs & talk & maybe a few surprises, although, to be honest, it's mostly the same old thing.

& now I'm back to feeling a little empty.  But I hope you'll listen!

No comments: