Monday, January 20, 2020

Self Help Radio 012020: 1984

(All record covers found on Discogs.)

Wow, it's just after noon & I'm exhausted.  Is this what being 52 is like?  I did wake up a little early to strategize - how could I fit three hours of music I love from 1984 into two hours of radio?  I stole a couple minutes from the deejay before me - DJ Otto - & I kept the airbreaks to a minimum.  & there still wasn't enough time.

Do you know, I could do a radio show called "The 1984 Show" & it would takes months to exhaust all the great music that came out that year.  It's extraordinary.  It seems to me, anyway.  Not that I need another radio show right now.  But if you want to do that show, I will totally help you.

The 1984 show - it's almost all music, very little me - can be listened to now & whenever at Self Help Radio dot net.  Please remember you'll need a username - SHR - & a password - selfhelp - to listen.  The songs I played are listed below.  The songs I didn't play will one day make it on The 1984 Show.  Seriously, so much music.

Also, I won the victory over myself.  I loved Big Brother.

Self Help Radio 1984 Show
"Kangaroo" This Mortal Coil _It'll End In Tears_
"Withered & Died" Elvis Costello _Goodbye Cruel World_
"Lions" Tones On Tail _Pop_

"Reel Around The Fountain" The Smiths _The Smiths_
"From Her To Eternity" Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds _From Her To Eternity_
"The Killing Moon" Echo & The Bunnymen _Ocean Rain_
"Church Not Made With Hands" The Waterboys _A Pagan Place_

"Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four)" Eurythmics _1984 (For The Love Of Big Brother)_
"Partyline" Shriekback _Jam Science_
"Uncorrected Personality Traits" Robyn Hitchcock _I Often Dream Of Trains_
"A New England" Kirsty MacColl _A New England_
"Dark Streets Of London" The Pogues _Red Roses For Me_

"Upside Down" The Jesus & Mary Chain _Upside Down_
"2 X 4" The Fall _The Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004_
"Love Gets Dangerous" Billy Bragg _Brewing Up With Billy Bragg_
"Bachelor Kisses" The Go-Betweens _Spring Hill Fair_
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" The Smiths _Hatful Of Hollow_

"The Unforgettable Fire" U2 _The Unforgettable Fire_
"Wonderland" Big Country _Wonderland_
"Nobody Told Me" John Lennon _Milk & Honey_
"The Law" Leonard Cohen _Various Positions_
"What A Day That Was" Talking Heads _Stop Making Sense_

"Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops" Cocteau Twins _The Spangle Maker_
"The Caterpillar" The Cure _The Top_
"Perfect Skin" Lloyd Cole & The Commotions _Rattlesnakes_
"Heaven" The Psychedelic Furs _Mirror Moves_
"I Guess I'm Just A Little Too Sensitive" Orange Juice _The Orange Juice (The Third Album)_

No comments: