Monday, June 22, 2020

Self Help Radio 062220: Shadows

(Original image here.)

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen the television show Dark Shadows.  It was a little before my time, & not something I ever saw in syndication when I was a kid.  & I would've loved it - I loved vampires & all kinds of spooky stuff back then.  Anyway, I was fucking with the comic book up there for this post & thought, "Why have I never seen Dark Shadows?"

The wife & I tossed around an idea for a bit for the show in which she's supposed to be a fan of Dark Shadows but what she really loves is What We Do In The Shadows.  But we couldn't think of anything too funny because, you see, neither of us had seen the former.  Mistaken identity is not funny in & of itself.

There were too many shadow songs to choose from but I did my best.  I couldn't find a place for some famous ones, like that Stones song, & I am sad I ran out of time for some newer stuff.  But whatever. Here's your shadow show.  I hope you like.

It's now at the Self Help Radio website.  Remember username/password SHR/selfhelp.  What happens on the show is below.

-----

Self Help Radio Shadows Show
"Why Do I Have A Shadow?" Dorothy Collins _Experiment Songs (From Ballads For The Age Of Science)_
"In The Shadows" Ups & Downs _Out Of The Darkness (Sleepless, Singles, & Other Stories)_
"Shadow" Blouse _Terminal Sales Vol. 4: Please To Enjoy_

introduction & definitions my Radio Dad interrupts!

"Shadow Woman" The Growlers _Natural Affair_
"Shadows" Yo La Tengo _I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One_
"Shadows" Malcolm Middleton _Waxing Gibbous_
"Shadow" The Primitives _Lovely_
"Shadowplay" Joy Division _Unknown Pleasures_

a letter is read on the air

"Shadowtime" Siouxsie & The Banshees _Superstition_
"Standing In The Shadows Of Love" The Four Tops _The Best Of Four Tops_
"The Shadow" Tanya Donelly _Beautysleep_
"Moonshadow" Cat Stevens _Teaser & The Firecat_
"Shadow" Teen _Good Fruit_

a discussion about shadow idioms my producer Fred interrupts!

"Only A Shadow" Cleaners From Venus _Midnight Cleaners_
"Shadow Of A Doubt" Sonic Youth _Evol_
"Shadowman" MomusMcClymont _MomusMcClymont_
"No Shade In Shadow" Kristin Hersh _Possible Dust Clouds_
"Shadows" Jean-Paul Sartre Experience _The Size Of Food_

a discussion about shadow idioms

"Shadows" Wagon Christ _Sorry I Make You Lush_
"Love In The Shadows" The Magnetic Fields _69 Love Songs_
"In The Shadows" Ivy _Realistic_
"Cast No Shadows" The Mekons _Journey To The End Of The Night_
"Under Streetlights Shadows" Rocketship _Thanks To You_

conclusion & goodbye

"Cast A Shadow" Beat Happening _Black Candy_
"Cast A Shadow" Coves _Soft Friday_
"Caught In My Shadow" The Wonder Stuff _Never Loved Elvis_
"Looking In The Shadows" The Raincoats _Looking In The Shadows_
"Complicated Shadows (Cashbox Version)" Elvis Costello & The Attractions _The Other End Of The Telescope_

No comments: