Saturday, November 28, 2020

Drinking From A Deep Welles

The other day I found this cleverly animated YouTube video an associate of Stan Lee made featuring the comic icon saying bad words.  I suspect there are tons of recordings like this of famous people being profane, & there are some which have been withheld because it would be bad for the person involved but perhaps we'll hear them after that famous person leaves his current job.  Maybe they should release it now - he's not really doing his job anymore anyway.

My first large-scale introduction to this - well, it may have been Negativland's U2 single - but I recall getting a copy of the collection Celebrities At Their Worst! sometime in the mid-90s.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to change my mind about any of the celebrities - John Wayne is a racist dick? I would never have suspected - but what it did do is introduce me to one of my great obsessions.  & that is the track which was called on the CD (if I remember it correctly) "Orson Welles Pissing Away His Talent."

Above I chose not to embed the Stan Lee video, but I'll embed this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tyko_oQ0da8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a cleverly animated collection of those Orson Welles outtakes.  I love them so much.  I wish I could tell you why.  I have them memorized like a favorite song.  I wish there were an entire album that proceeded in the same manner.  One time on Facebook I wrote this:

There are people out there who would swoon to the discovery of a lost John Lennon song, or a mid-60s Dylan recording session previously unknown, or Bowie tracks recorded but never released in the mid-70s, but for me I'd be utterly ecstatic if someone found just three more minutes of outtakes of Orson Welles getting pissy & haughty while doing shitty, humiliating radio commercials.

It's absolutely true.

No comments: