Saturday, May 01, 2021

Oakland


When I began to carry a digital camera around with me to take pictures of stuff, I didn't know I was also creating a kind of diary for myself.  I took this picture four years ago, on May 1, 2017.  It's called "Oakland" because it was taken in Oakland.  We were in town to visit my wife's mother as well as to see the Magnetic Fields perform.  It was a lovely night & a lovely show & it was only ruined by returning to our rental car & finding the windows smashed in.  I learned that's a hazard in Oakland, San Francisco, & Berkeley.  We had to drive to the rental place to report it - the cops told us they wouldn't be able to come & get a statement for four hours* - & we got a car, which we turned in the next day because that's when we were leaving.

Hm, I thought I had written about this on the blog before but I guess I had not.  Anyway, that has turned out to be one of the nice things about taking pictures.  If you'd asked me this morning when I last visited California, or when I had gone to see the Magnetic Fields there, I couldn't have told you.  Now I know!

Not that I'll remember after this.

* Still no word if they've solved the crime.

No comments: