Monday, May 10, 2021

Whither Mom?

(image from here)

Tonight's Self Help Radio - which has the theme "mom" - would seem to be a response to Mother's Day, which was yesterday.  & it's fine if you think that - but it's not the case.

My mother died in September, & the family is finally getting the chance to have a memorial for her.  I'm still pretty nervous about traveling - though I am vaccinated, I feel like far too many people aren't, & there are of course the politically-motivated & anti-vaxxers of all stripes who have their usually dumb reasons for opposing masks & vaccines - which leaves me anxious - but I am going back to Texas in just under two weeks to deliver the eulogy at my mother's memorial.

The thing is, I initially thought it was this weekend.  So, a month ago, I put it on the website.  I also thought, because I know there are way too many songs about "mothers," that I'd limit the show to songs about "moms."  I'd also include "mommies" & "mommas" (but not "mamas").  This is how I stop myself from way too much time finding & listening to songs.

Anyway, someone reminded me - probably my wife - that I was going next weekend & it seemed a better idea - especially since it had just been Mother's Day - to split the difference & leave the show on the day it was scheduled, even though that means I'll do a different show the week of the memorial.

But I think it'll be a fun show regardless!  There are guests galore & lots of good tunes.  Well, I like them.

Self Help Radio's Mom show airs tonight on KBOO from midnight to 3am.  You can listen on 90.7 fm or kboo.fm.  You can even listen with your mom, if she's up.  That's something I can no longer do.

No comments: