Friday, August 13, 2021

Nobody Cares, But

(I found this image here. But read blow how I found it.)

The thing I want to mention, I want to mention not out of self-pity or any sense of disappointment.  & I don't mean to shit on any radio station, which is why I won't mention any radio station.  But, every week, I endeavor to cobble together two (2) radio programs & one of them, this week, did not air.  To be fair, about 1/6th of it aired, before something happened at the station (I was told "the modem was down") & it was off the air & in fact most of the next show was off the air too.  & it's very safe to say, nobody cared.

Again, this is not self-pity.  I sometimes imagine what it would be like to have a popular, well-liked, much-listened-to radio show.  I would imagine that, should that show somehow go off the air, there would be people who would complain.  For example, in Lexington, Kentucky, for a time I did a morning show after which Democracy Now would air.  I was in charge of making sure it started on time.  Sometimes there was an error in getting the newest episode.  We got a lot of angry calls about that.

My show yesterday morning?  No one even noticed it was off the air.  At the very least, no one notified me, & no one mentioned it on Discord, the app that Freeform uses to interface with its listeners.

The show, which I had prepared for World Elephant Day, was also a show for the Freeform Summer Fundraiser.  The nature of Freeform - an all-volunteer, low power fm station - means it took hours to mobilize volunteers to get the station back on the air.  I feel most badly about that - I hoped my blathering might get more donations to Freeform.  Alas.  What I did mostly didn't air.

Oh no!  I didn't mean to mention the radio station!  Sorry.

Yes, I'll put in on the Self Help Radio website next week.  No one listens to it there, though. Of the last ten Dickenbock Reports I've placed there, a total of zero have been listened to.

Therefore I feel safe to say no one will listen to that show.  It won't help the Freeform Fundraiser at all.

But me?  I couldn't give less of a fuck.  Listen or don't listen, I don't care.  I make radio shows whether or not anyone listens.  I do it out of joy.  Nobody cares?  Dude.  Welcome to my life!

No comments: