Sunday, September 18, 2022

Preface To Fixing: Fixed It!


That snotty picture was taken six years ago somewhere & entitled "Fixed It!"  Because, you know, we all have the money to get things broken on our cars fixed right away.  If this had happened to me when I had my first car - well, I probably wouldn't have been so creative.

The word "fix" is fascinating.  It means different things in each of these sentences:

You really need to fix that dent on my car.
I like it when you fix your hair in a bun!
The owner fixed the price for the goods; she would not haggle.
Hope you're not moving soon - you've fixed that poster to the wall!
He fixed his eyes on the faraway island.
Let's fix the meeting for Tuesdays at two.
You're fixed for money since your aunt gave you that loan.
How did he win? He fixed the game, that's how.
Oh, I fix dinner every night around suppertime.
She was a dastardly foe who has the upper hand, but I'll fix her!
That dog will calm down after we get him fixed.
The junkie was in a fix because she didn't know when she'd get her next fix.
It's a puzzler - what is the fix for a show like Self Help Radio?

Thirteen sentences with fourteen meanings of fix.  & I didn't cover them all!

It'll make a pretty good radio show, though, right?  Right?

No comments: