Monday, September 19, 2022

Whither Fixing (Or Fixes)?

(image from here.)

You might have guessed, if you read yesterday's blog entry, why the theme this week is "fixing." Or "fixes." I sometimes go with the gerund (or participle, I forget which sometimes) when the theme is a verb, although "fix" is also a noun.  Anyway, I thought "fixing" would make the theme clearer so that's what it says on the website, but the show really has multiple fixes so it should be "fixes."

Where was I?  Oh yeah.  I was looking something up in the dictionary - it was basically when the word "fix" came to mean to "a dose of heroin" - which by the way comes from the previous usage "fix up," having to do with an alcoholic drink, first used in the mid-1800s - that's what Etymology Online says anyway - & it struck me that there were so many different meanings for this one, little, three-letter word.  It kinda blew my mind.  & so I thought, why not make an episode of Self Help Radio about "fix."  Maybe call it "fixing."  When it should be "fixes."

Howsoever I chose to fix it, the fix is in tonight from midnight to 3am on 90.7 fm KBOO Portland & online at kboo.fm.  Some people say self-help of all kinds, including that on the radio, can help fix you.  Alas, Self Help Radio is not a self-help radio show.  But maybe it'll suffice as your nighttime radio fix.

No comments: