Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Self Help Radio 092722: Sizes


Like the graphic above (which features a picture of the Willamette in the background that I took on a very cold day this past winter), Self Help Radio came in all different sizes this week.  It's like someone said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size!" & Self Help Radio said, "But I am all sizes!"

Just a point of clarification: the radio show can't actually talk back to you. I've had a caller or two in my time who seemed to want to argue with a song I've just played, but generally speaking recordings can't communicate with you unless your brain is wired to receive such things, & we think of that as a form of mental illness.  I was only speaking with my revoked poetic license.  Also, I wanted to use the phrase "pick on someone your own size," maybe because I've never used it ever in my life.

Where was I?  Oh yeah, lots of sizes.  That was what the show was about.  Sorry, I used all my brainpower this morning/afternoon creating that dumb graphic up there, so I simply can't think of anything else to say.

Except!  You can listen to the show now at its KBOO page or at the Self Help Radio website.  If you go to the show's website, remember you'll need to use SHR as a username & selfhelp as a password.  But you can download the show there!  Everything that happened is below.

Sighs.  I mean, size.

Self Help Radio Sizes Show
"He's Just My Size" Lillie Mae Kirkman _Raunchy Business (Hot Nuts & Lollypops)_
"She's Just Good Huggin' Size" Tommy McClennan _Big Joe Williams & The Stars Of Mississippi Blues_
"Large Size Mama" Ruth Wallis _For Sophisticates Only_

introduction & definitions

"Giant Sized Baby Thing" Bow Wow Wow _Your Box Set Pet (The Complete Recordings 1980-1984)_
"The Size Of A Cow" The Wonder Stuff _Never Loved Elvis_
"It's Not Just The Size Of A Walnut" The Soft Boys _1976-81_
"A Girl Your Size (How Could I Not Miss)" Martin Mull _Martin Mull & His Fabulous Furniture In Your Living Room_
"Love Comes In All Sizes" The Chi-Lites _A Letter To Myself_

our favorite librarian Carole stops by

"Size 12" Don Cornell _The Hits Collection 1942-58_
"King Size Papa" Julia Lee _I'm A Bad, Bad Girl - Seven Dozen Dusky Divas 1939-1953_
"Try On My Love For Size" Chairmen Of The Board _Everything's Tuesday: The Best Of Chairmen Of The Board_
"Dogs Come In All Sizes" George Carlin _More Napalm & Silly Putty_
"Shoesize Of The Angel" Momus _Ping Pong_

interview with shop owner Josie Little

"King Size" The Trials Of Jayson Hoover _King Size_
"Kingsized" Dressy Bessy _Kingsized_
"King Size" Peach Kelli Pop _Gentle Leader_
"It Ain't The Size Of The Ring Finger" Dave Foley _Relatively Well_
"Size 9" Alpinestars _B.A.S.I.C._

interview with shop owner Karen Hardy

"Man Sized Job" Denise LaSalle _Making A Good Thing Better: The Complete Westbound Singles 1970-76_
"Man-Size" PJ Harvey _Rid Of Me_
"The Size Of Our Love" Sleater-Kinney _The Hot Rock_
"Plus Size Models" Andy Kline _Vintage_
"Super-Size It" Half Japanese _Hello_

interview with tallest person in American Jasper Johnson

"I'm Looking For A Saxophonist Doubling French Horn Wearing Size 37 Boots" The Artwoods _Steady Gettin' It: The Complete Recordings 1964-67_
"My Size Side" The Homosexuals _Astral Glamour_
"House The Size Of Mars" The Dentists _If All The Flies Were One Fly: A Collection Of Rare & Unreleased Dentistry 1984-1995)_
"Three Different Sizes" Sarah Silverman _Songs Of The Sarah Silverman Program - From Our Rears To Your Ears!_
"Kingsize (You're My Little Steam Whistle)" Haircut 100 _Pelican West_
"You're Just The Right Size" The Salsoul Orchestra _The Salsoul Orchestra_

our resident cinephile Chuck stops by

"Medium-Sized" Jerold Crews _Drive In Presents: Easy Tune Vol. 3_
"Half The Size Of Nothing" The Bluetones _A New Athens_
"High Rise Towers In Medium Size Towns" Darren Hayman & The Secondary Modern _Pram Town_
"Pocketsize" Voice Of The Beehive _Monsters & Angels_
"In A Town This Size (with Dolores Keane)" John Prine _In Spite Of Ourselves_

conclusion, phone call with Mr. Spellman, goodbye

"My Size" Jackie Cohen _Zagg_
"Super Size Me" Magnapop _The Circle Is Round_
"Just My Size" Tuscadero _The Pink Album_
"Your New Twin Sized Bed" Death Cab For Cutie _Narrow Stairs_

No comments: