Monday, September 26, 2022

Whither Sizes?

 (image found here.)

Self Help Radio listeners come in all sizes (I'll assume).  But are they - are you - interested in a show about size itself?  I'll find out tonight!

My last foray (I think) into the world of sizes on the show was the "giant show" from a little over two years ago.  As I said on the blog about that show,

Quite simply, it means a show about giants & giant things.  Quite complicatedly, it means that the original intention was songs about giants but at some point in the collection of songs about giants the songs about giant things had also amassed & some of them were really good & it was like, "Why exclude these things because they're giant too just not giants."  Quite Germanly, ich kann wirklich kein Deutsch. Ich habe einen Online-Übersetzer verwendet, um dies zu schreiben. Meine deutschen Vorfahren würden sich zutiefst schämen. Naja. Darf ich auch hinzufügen, daß ich drei schöne Hunde habe?

Something in me - thankfully it doesn't appear to covid - because I tested! - told me it was time to do another show about scale.  But just "scale"?  Should it be "a tiny show"?  "A fat show"?  "A medium show"?  I began to feel I was developing a kind of antipathy - maybe even a prejudice - for all sizes, including my own, which is "large & unpleasantly lumpy."  I was becoming size-ist!

To keep me from going down difficult roads, I settled on a show about size.  All sizes!  Because while it's true that one particular size doesn't matter, size itself matters.  Plus, it doesn't mean in the future I can't do a tiny, fat, medium, or even large & unpleasantly lumpy show.  Why use up all possible words & themes?  I mean, English has so few of them as it is.

Listen! Tonight! Midnight to 3am Portland time! KBOO! 90.7 fm! kboo.fm! It's just your size!

No comments: