Monday, September 12, 2022

Whither Satisfaction?

(I wish I knew where I found this!)

The eternal conundrum: can a mostly unsatisfying radio show properly cover the theme "satisfaction"?  Why do I torture myself in this manner?

Maybe we won't get to this tonight, but etymonline.com tells us that the original definition (from the early 14th century) of satisfaction was "performance by a penitent of an act set forth by a priest or other Church authority to atone for sin."  Which is not a meaning that we use even think about today. The same site tells us, "The sense of 'action of gratifying' (an appetite or desire) is from late 14th century; that of 'gratified or contented feeling or state of mind' is from the late 15th century."

For my part, it was as you suspected, I happened to become fascinated with covers of the Rolling Stones song which led to the germ of the idea of this show.  & yes, I'll play several of those covers tonight.  I will not be able to help myself.

Listen! It may be satisfying! From midnight to 3am on 90.7fm in town & online at kboo.fm.  & no, not "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" - because it's free!

No comments: