Friday, February 23, 2024

Self Help Radio 022224: Small Town

(original image here)

When I went to college in 1986, I had decided too late to get into any dorms. The biggest dorm on campus was (& still is) Jester Center. It has a capacity of 3,200 residents. While I never spent much time in the dorms, I had classes in classrooms located in Jester. & I would often hear this: there are people living in Jester who came from towns that have a population much smaller than the dorm.

For whatever reason I never really met a lot of folks from small-town Texas. We really didn't have a whole lot in common. Many of them I'm sure returned to their small town when they graduated - or returned to a small town much like the one they grew up in. The folks I've met since then who came from a small town expressed to me how grateful they were to get out of that small town. I met a number of these kids in Kentucky & have met a few here in Oregon. Which only confirms to me that the ones who loved growing up in a small town & who would probably return to a small town have very little in common with me.

This is just stuff on my mind as I share with you this week's show, which had the theme "small town." I am personally very glad I didn't grow up in a small town & I am glad to live in a town the size of Portland but I always hoped I would one day live in a giant city. That will probably not happen though. More likely I'll end up living in a small town in my old age!

Listen to the show at the Self Help Radio website.
The username is SHR. The password is selfhelp.
Download the file! What do I care?
Everything on the show is below.

Self Help Radio Small Town Show
"Small Town Boy" Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five _Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five_
"Little Small Town Girl" Ella Fitzgerald & The Inkspots _Ella Fitzgerald 1950_
"Small Towns Are Smile Towns" Nat King Cole _This Is Nat "King" Cole_

introduction & definitions

"Small Town" Peter Fenton _Piccadilly Sunshine Volumes 1 - 10_
"Small Town Commotion" The Visions _Realistic Patterns (Orchestrated Psychedelia From The USA)_
"Small Town Bring Down" Tony Bruno _An Original By Bruno_
"Small Town Girl" The New World With Mary Lou _A World Of Love_
"Small Town Talk" Bobby Charles _Bobby Charles_

an interview with Preston who lives in a small town in Kentucky

"Small Town, Big City" Brinsley Schwarz _The New Favourites Of Brinsley Schwarz_
"Small Town Romance" Richard Thompson _Watching The Dark (The History Of Richard Thompson)_
"Small Town On The River" Bill Morrissey _The Essential Collection_
"Small Town Girl" Tracey Thorn _A Distant Shore_

an interview with Patrick who lives in a small town in Colorado

"The Everyday Story Of Smalltown" XTC _The Big Express_
"Summer In A Small Town" Cleaners From Venus _Under Wartime Conditions_
"Small Town (Long Session)" Phil Wilson _Every Conversation: The Story Of The June Brides & Phil Wilson_
"Small Town Kings" 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong _Baby Trash_

an interview with Penny who lives in a small town in California

"Smalltown" Lou Reed/John Cale _Songs For Drella_
"Small Town" Mirah _You Think It's Like This But Really It's Like This_
"Small Town Crew" The Brunettes _Structure & Cosmetics_
"Smalltown Blues" Ruthie Foster _Runaway Soul_
"Last Of The Small Town Playboys" Dirty Pretty Things _Waterloo To Anywhere_

an interview with Porter who lives in a small town in Oregon

"Small Town Girl" Good Shoes _Think Before You Speak_
"Secrets In A Small Town" Supermoon _Playland_
"Small Town Hero" Suedehead _Constant Frantic Motion_
"Many Small Towns" Eggs On Mars _It Will Be Like It Was_

conclusion & goodbye

"Small Town" Jane Herships _The Home Record_
"Smalltown Stardust" King Tuff _Smalltown Stardust_
"Small Town Napoleans" The Mendoza Line _If They Knew This Was The End_

No comments: