Sunday, January 31, 2016

Cradle To Grave (Episode Ten)


Wow!  Ten episodes of this!  & no one's called the police or anything!

This is bound to be boring to you, but I've developed the easiest way for me to put the show together, which still takes a bit of time.  I gather the names, using all sort of web resources, starting with the Wikipedia.  (I'm also starting to look around, when I have time, to find the birthdays of musicians I admire who might not have Wikipedia pages.)  After that is done, I have a long, long list of people of interest.  In many cases, of course, they are members of bands or, in the case of jazz musicians, they've played with many folks, often as a sideperson & not a leader.  Then I sit down & cross-reference the names with my shabby database of the music I own.  Usually I can find more than enough to fill the hour there, but then I want to dig deeper.  The jazz bands are an example, but there are rock musicians too who might have played in different bands & then I have pick something I think is a good representation of his or her musical contributions.

The point is, I literally go down a list.  This is true.  In earlier attempts, I tried to group folks into genres, & search for them that way.  I don't know what I was thinking, but it added an extra step of difficulty in gathering music for the show.  I have eliminated that step.  In a way, it's made it much more fun to pull the music for the show together - which makes making the show more fun.

Hey!  I told you it was boring.

This week's show is now at self help radio dot net if you have always wondering who was born or who died on January 30th.  You can see a list, actually, of those people below.  It's in two part, like usual.  Note the password & username.  Blah blah blah.

Happy birthday!  I'm sad.

(part one: birthdays)

"Friars Point Shuffle" Chicago Rhythm Kings _Mezz Mezzrow 1928-1936_
"Kitten On The Keys" Stan Freeman & Bernie Leighton, with Percy Faith & His Orchestra _I'll Take Romance_
"I Still Love Him So" Roy Eldridge _Little Jazz: The Best Of The Verve Years_
"Oud Blues" Ahmed Abdul-Malik _The Music Of Ahmed Abdul-Malik_

"Teardrops From My Eyes" Ruth Brown _Atlantic Rhythm & Blues (1947-74)_
"Wrong Doing Woman" Earl Gilliam _Let Me Tell You About The Blues Texas (The Evolution Of Texas Blues)_
"Shirley Lee" Bobby Lee Trammell _Rockin' Bones: 1950's Punk & Rockabilly_
"Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay" Danny & The Juniors _Golden Classics_
"Love Potion No. 9" The Clovers _The Best Of The Clovers_

"A Walk In The Black Forest" Horst Jankowski _Black Forest Explosion_
"Stroke It" Ingfried Hoffmann _The In-Kraut, Vol. 3_
"Love Me" The Phantom _Love Me_
"Afterglow (Of Your Love)" Small Faces _Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake_
"3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds" Jefferson Airplane _Surrealistic Pillow_
"Strange Man" Dorothy Love Coates _Gospel Music_
"Johnny Mathis' Feet" American Music Club _Mercury_

(part two: death anniversaries)

"My Gal Sal" Jelly Roll Morton _The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings By Alan Lomax_
"Hey Little Girl" Professor Longhair _Longhair Boogie_
"Glory Be" Lightnin' Hopkins _The Fire/Fury Records Story_
"Louise" Mance Lipscomb _Songster_

"Hold Tight, Hold Tight" The Andrews Sisters _The Best Of The Andrews Sisters_
"Theme From Mission Impossible" The Kane Triplets _Girls Go Zonk!!_
"Rainy August Night" The Yandall Sisters _The Love I Feel_
"Raindrops" Zephyr _Zephyr_
"Tom Cat Blues" Saffire – The Uppity Blues Women _Hot Flash_

"Red Cadillac & A Black Moustache" Warren Smith _The Sun Records Collection_
"Honey Dew" Byron Slick Gipson & The Sliders _Vocal Groups: Coast To Coast_
"Somebody In The World For You" The Mighty Hannibal _The Best Of Loma Records: The Rise & Fall Of A 1960s Soul Label_
"The Auld Triangle" Luke Kelly _You Never Heard Better!_
"Sing Me A Song Of The Islands" Alfred Apaka _Sing Me A Song Of The Islands_

"The James Bond Theme" The John Barry Seven & Orchestra _The Best Of The Sixties_

1 comment:

jenny a said...

I wasn't going to ask, so I'm pleased you explained. I wondered if you happened to have the music on-hand, or if you had to put a lot of extra resources into each show. That would get pricey, I bet.