Monday, April 06, 2020

Self Help Radio 040620: Wishes

(Original image here.)

Holy moley, I spent all day on this week's Self Help Radio.  I really have no concept of time.  But it was really fun - & a bit frustrating - putting it together.  There were so many songs about wishes that I just couldn't get to them all.  I bet I could have done four hours - & that was excluding songs about wishing wells, which I covered in a show about wells I did two years ago.

Not only that, the folks who pretend to be experts & get interviewed really brought their A game.  I know that's a sportsball term which means they were at their best, but other than that I don't know exactly what an A game.  Rest assured, what you get from me on the show is my regular C game.  That might be too generous.  C minus game.

If you wish to listen, the show is at the Self Help Radio website now or whenever you have a moment.  Ha ha, all we have are moments these days.  Too many moments.  Remember, the username is SHR & the password is selfhelp.  The show is exactly two hours long.  Amazing!  What happens on the show is listed below.

As you wish.

Self Help Radio Wishes Show

"When You Wish Upon A Star" Petra Haden & Bill Frisell _Petra Haden & Bill Frisell_
"Make A Wish" The Cat's Miaow _Songs For Girls To Sing_
"Wishing The Days Away" Billy Bragg _Talking With The Taxman About Poetry_

introduction & definitions

"I Wish" Eisley _The Valley_
"I Wish I Was Him" Kathleen Hanna _Rock Stars Kill_
"Three Wishes" Twink _The Broken Record_
"Blown A Wish" My Bloody Valentine _Loveless_
"Wish You Would" Ivy _Avenge_

interview with Steig Klettesteig from the Make-A-Wish Take-A-Wish Foundation

"I Wish" Stevie Wonder _Songs In The Key Of Life_
"My Fondest Wish" Sometimes I Wonder _You're Still Young At Heart_
"Down By The Wishing Pool" The Chesterfields _Down By The Wishing Pool_
"Wish We Were" Smoking Popes _This Is Only A Test_

interview with the Rev Dr Howard Gently

"Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)" Nouvelle Vague _Nouvelle Vague_
"I Wished On The Moon" Billie Holiday _The Quintessential Billie Holiday Volume 1, 1933-1935_
"I Wish, I Wish" Cat Stevens _Mona Bone Jakon_
"I Wish I Had Pictures" The Magnetic Fields _50 Song Memoir_

interview with Dolph Winspear of 'Genies R Us'

"I Wish" Skee-Lo _I Wish_ (Volcano, 1995)
"A Specific System Of Selective Short-Term Well-Wishing" George Carlin _When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?_
"I Wish You Would" David Bowie _Pin Ups_
"Wish I Sang A Little Better" Sprites _Starling, Spiders, Tiger, & Sprites_

interview with an actual genie

"Wishin' & Hopin'" The Vandalias _What The World Needs Now (Big Deal Recording Artists Perform The Music Of Burt Bacharach)_
"A Wish Away" The Wonder Stuff _The Eight Legged Groove Machine_
"Wishing It Were Friday" Bubblegum Lemonade _The Great Leap Backward_
"I Wish For You" Lake _The World Is Real_

conclusion & goodbye

"I Wish You Well" Bill Withers _The Best Of Bill Withers: Lean On Me_
"Wishful Thinkin'" Sly & The Family Stone _Small Talk

No comments: