Friday, June 19, 2020

Back On The Schedule?

There was a meeting this week online for folks at Freeform helping out with the automation - I am one of those folks - & it was casually mentioned that we'll start scheduling shows - prerecorded - into their old timeslots starting - can it be true? - June 29th.  That's a Monday.  That's when Self Help Radio is scheduled to air.

Am I ready for this?  Oh no.  Will I make sure I'm ready for this?  Oh yes.

There's a complication - someone (poor soul) will need to "review" the show (listen to it) to make sure there aren't any FCC violations.  You might say, "But Gary!  You've been making radio for nearly seven hundred years, how in the world could you let a bad word slip through?"

First, it's only been six hundred years.  & second, everyone makes mistakes.  Live, you can hit the dump button.  (But what's a dump button?  Read all about it.)  Not so with prerecords.  & let me tell you, there have been a lot of bad words on many noncommercial stations during this time.  Not from me!  I hope.

What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, the review process.  To make it easy on the reviewers, shows must be submitted no later than 72 hours (three days) in advance.  Which means I need to have my show done (doing the math in my head) by Friday mornings at eight.

Am I ready for that?  Fuck no.  Will I be ready?  I guess.

Ah, but will it happen?  I am planning as though it will.  & I'm excited about it, too!

(There will be Self Help Radio on KBOO Tuesday morning at midnight as well, which is super cool, but those shows will be re-runs of a sort - done live by remote - of previously finished shows.  Still - I'm excited about that, too.)

No comments: