Saturday, June 20, 2020

Preface To Shadows: Shadow Play

According to the Wikipedia: "Shadow play, also known as shadow puppetry, is an ancient form of storytelling & entertainment which uses flat articulated cut-out figures (shadow puppets) which are held between a source of light & a translucent screen or scrim. The cut-out shapes of the puppets sometimes include translucent color or other types of detailing. Various effects can be achieved by moving both the puppets & the light source. A talented puppeteer can make the figures appear to walk, dance, fight, nod, & laugh."

Oh no, says the reader.  He reads Wikipedia to us on the radio, now he's reading it to us on his blog?!?!

Fear not, dear reader!  I am not going to copy anything more from the Wikipedia to-day!

Holy shit, thinks the reader.  He can hear me?!?

Of course I can!  Anyone who writes a blog can read the mind of any reader, should they choose to do so.  More popular blogs, of course, disable this feature.  But frankly, you're the first person to read this blog in - well, it's been a few weeks - so naturally I can hear your thoughts.

That's disturbing, says the reader out loud to the computer.

Maybe not talk to your computer or else people will think you're crazy.

Sorry, thinks the reader.

Not a problem.  I'm glad you're here!

Thanks, says the reader.

Can I talk to you about shadow play?

Ordinarily that would be great, says the reader.  But now isn't a good time.

It's the best time!  I have visual aids!

Speaking of time, gosh! thinks the reader, is it really this late already?

Oh come on!  You're here already!

Did you hear that? asks the reader.

Did I hear what?

Oh dear, that's my phone, says the reader.

That's not a phone!  You're lying to me!

Seriously, I have to take this, lies the reader.  Hello?

Don't stop reading the blog!  Then I can no longer hear your thoughts!

Bummer.

Wait, is that someone else?  Someone who wants to hear about shadow play?  I probably won't talk about it on the show this week, I won't have the time.  Is anyone there?  Hello?  Hello?

No comments: