Sunday, June 16, 2024

Preface To Howard Gently Year Three: Melba

(image from here)

This week I'll be taking some time to celebrate my dear friend & collaborator Russell whom I lost about a year ago. It's cruel that time passes, it's crueler still that that means that I'll never see nor speak to him again. But I am grateful that I convinced him to play the spiritual grifter Howard Gently on my show & that I can share those regularly. & I will, until I've gone through all of them. I miss him so much.

His character Melba Jackson gained him a small amount of fame & acclaim among the prank call cognoscente in the 1990s. But he did the character way before that. & even though I don't think I was there when he invented her, I found a tape of him & me back when we were kids which I think was the first time I heard him do that voice. Hilariously, he killed her off right away.

Hm, I thought I shared it on my show about Russell from last summer. Maybe I just didn't note it in the playlist. If you listen, remember you'll need a username (SHR) & a password (selfhelp). & let me know if it's there. I may want to share it again.

No comments: