Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Self Help Radio 061824: Howard Gently Year Three


Wow! That's my friend Russell supporting Self Help Radio ten years before the show existed! Little did he know twenty-two years later he would transform into a spiritual huckster named The Rev. Dr. Howard Gently & be on that very show!

The truth is, we know so very little about how our lives would turn out. The Gary who took that picture around 1992 wasn't even on the radio yet. You could not have convinced me then that it would become the thing I'd love to do most in my life. & you would've astonished me if you told me I would lose my friend Russell when we were in our fifties. We were barely in our twenties then!

One thing I am very grateful for is that Russell played Howard Gently on my show for so many years. This week I continue playing his appearances in chronological order - appearances from January 26 to June 7, 2016, when the show aired in Lexington, Kentucky, on WRFL.

You can listen to the show now at the Self Help Radio website. You'll need a username (SHR) & a password (selfhelp) to access the file. It's mainly Howard Gently bits but I include a song from the original show that I think Russell would've liked. All the details are below.

More Howard Gently in three months!

Self Help Radio Howard Gently Year Three Show
"Lay Hands" Russell Miles _Six Tunes By 'Russ'_

"Black Crow" Joni Mitchell _Hejira_
Howard Gently on the theme "Crows"
"I'll Regret It All In The Morning" Richard & Linda Thompson _Hokey Pokey_
Howard Gently on the theme "Regret"
"The Great Pretender" Stan Freberg _Tip Of The Freberg: The Stan Freberg Collection 1951-1998_
Howard Gently on the theme "Pretend"

"My World Is Empty Without You" The Supremes _The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 5: 1965_
Howard Gently on the theme "Emptiness"
"Me, I Disconnect From You" Tubeway Army _Replicas_
Howard Gently on the theme "Connections"
"Slow Down" Tammi Terrell _The Essential Collection_
Howard Gently on the theme "Slow Down"

"You Woke Up My Neighborhood" Billy Bragg _Don't Try This At Home_
Howard Gently's assistant Bentley on the theme "Neighborhoods"
"The Law" Leonard Cohen _Various Positions_
Howard Gently on the theme "Spiritual Laws"
"Flight Of The Bumble Bee" Harry James & His Orchestra _Swingin' The Classics_
Howard Gently on the theme "Bees"

"Laughter & Forgetting" David Sylvian _Gone To Earth_
Howard Gently on the theme "Forgetting"
"Take Me I'm Yours" Squeeze _Squeeze_
Howard Gently Calls!

"In Walked Bud" Thelonious Monk _The Complete Blue Note Recordings_

No comments: