Monday, June 17, 2024

Whither Howard Gently Year Three?


That picture up there - I did something kinda weird. That's my friend Russell over thirty years ago, in front of my apartment on Avenue A in Austin, Texas. (I wrote about that place here.) He was modeling a shirt that said "Built Like A Mack Truck." I removed the words & I put a picture of Howard Gently there. That's a character that Russell wouldn't invent for another twenty years. It seems to me a very strange thing I've done. But I suspect it would've made him laugh.

Actually I don't have a lot of pictures of Russ. I don't know why that is. I guess male friends don't take many pictures of each other - or maybe it was just us.

In any event, it's been a year now since he died & once again I am returning to the interviews he improvised with me for my dumb radio show. I am playing them in chronological order because I want to experience them again & it's a way for me to be close to him now he's gone & I want to share with you how funny & smart & clever he was. He was a good friend & he flattered me to do this with me.

That's happening tonight on KBOO. Midnight to 2am. 90.7fm & kboo.fm. I have been gathering the segments all day & laughing my ass off. I'm glad I have them - but it makes me miss him more.

No comments: